Nowadays, it seems like half of our lives are on Zoom or some form of a digital conferencing platform, not to mention video-chat interfaces such as Facetime. It’s becoming the new normal, and in some instances, it can be fun, especially if you’re thinking about dating or you want to look good for that “special someone.” Most of the time, it’s your face that’s on the camera, and what may not be so much fun is the feeling that maybe, just maybe, you think that you could look a little fresher. A little less tired. A little younger (?) We’ve all juggled with different emotions when our faces are on display. Maybe it’s time to take a step back and make sure we’re putting our best face forward.
When you’re on video, the person you’re corresponding with can probably view most angles of your face. When you turn to get something, or look down, look up, and look around, you show the same areas of your face that you would when you’re face to face with someone. If you’re close to the camera, you show details of the areas around your eyes, mouth, and forehead. To look your best, here are some things that you can control:
1. LIGHTING. Having the right light is critical. Make sure the light is in front of you, not behind. Having a light source behind you will cast you in a silhouette. It’s best if there’s a source of natural light in front of you. Natural light softens your look, unlike incandescent or LED lighting that can cast a yellowish or unnatural look to your complexion.
2. POSITIONING. Center your camera at slightly below eye level by lining up your laptop, tablet, or phone camera. If your camera is too high, it’ll show an unflattering view of your head. Don’t get your camera too low, though. It may cause you to look like you have a double chin. The idea is to have it slightly lower than your eyes, so you create an angle that places you in the best position possible.
3. BACKGROUND. Your background should be simple and uncluttered. It should be neutral and clean, without busy patterns that are distracting or off-putting. An off-white or light grey wall is great. If you don’t have an option for a blank wall, consider a backdrop or banner. You can also go with a virtual background. You can use a photo from a vacation or a generic image of a park or garden, or beach. Something uplifting and simple.
4. CLOTHING. Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you should dress like you are. Always be well presented by choosing clothing that you would wear if you’re going to work or out on a date. Pick bright, solid colors that show well on camera. Avoid dark clothes or tops that have a lot of busy patterns. They won’t look very flattering on camera.
5. SKIN CARE. The way your skin feels and looks will transfer to the camera as well. If you have oily skin, use blotting paper to get rid of the glisten on your skin. Blot away as much sweat as possible, so your complexion doesn’t look shiny. Use a moisturizer to even out your face. You can also use a good quality powder that matches your skin tone to balance out your complexion.
An overlooked skincare regimen is wrinkle treatments. The camera can accentuate existing wrinkles and make them more noticeable. When your face is on the screen, the person on the other end is concentrating on your face. They don’t see body language as they would if the conversation was a physical face to face interaction. Because of this, they tend to notice your face in more detail, which is why your wrinkles may seem more blatant than ever. You should always strive to look your best, especially in a dating situation. Luckily SilcSkin anti-wrinkle silicone pads can help with wrinkles and fine lines. SilcSkin Eye Pads are designed specifically to prevent wrinkles, bags, and crepiness under the eyes and the crow’s feet area. These anti-wrinkle pads are made with 100% medical grade silicone, developed using a perfected platinum curing process for a stronger and longer-lasting product.
When the SilcSkin silicone pads are worn, the pads’ pressure stimulates collagen and cell growth and increases the blood flow, which helps to improve skin tone. Silicone moisturizes the skin by drawing the skin’s natural moisture to the surface, plumping out the existing wrinkles. Medical grade silicone has been used by doctors to treat scarring and burns, and the SilcSkin method essentially treats wrinkles the same way.
SilcSkin pads are waterproof, hypoallergenic, contain no fragrance and allergy-causing latex, urethanes, or adhesives.
So next time you have a date with that certain someone, or you are about to get into a meeting, remember that it doesn’t take that much effort to look your best. Looking good and being confident can be a recipe to success.