When you reach your fifties, you can usually tell if you’ve made sound lifestyle choices. Not smoking, avoiding excessive sun exposure, managing stress and keeping to a healthy diet can have a major impact on how you end up looking. Being beautiful comes from feeling happy and taking good care of yourself and leading a healthy lifestyle can keep your skin looking tight, plump, clear and smooth. An unhealthy lifestyle can result in thinner, sagging dry skin and deep wrinkles and lines can form. Estrogen also plays a big role since it supports healthy skin cell functioning. When the production of estrogen slows down during menopause, the skin weakens and can’t product collagen the way it used to. As estrogen falls, the skin’s PH starts to go up. The resulting increase in alkaline weakens the moisture barrier and promotes dryness and sensitivity.
It’s not too late though. Use these ideas to help get your skin looking younger and smoother.
1. Wear sunscreen every day. This is something we hear ALL the time, but that only stresses the importance. A good quality sunscreen (choose one that has at least 40SPF and one that blocks UVA and UVB rays) can protect your skin against the damaging exposure to the sun, which is the number one cause of brown spots, wrinkles and skin cancer. Remember to wear your sunscreen throughout the day, rain or shine. UV rays break through the cloud cover and you’ll increase your chances of blocking these rays if your wear a protective layer of sunscreen.
2. Serum and moisturizer. The older we get, the drier our skin becomes. As we age, the skin slows down it’s natural production of oil and cell regeneration. Start your skin care routine with a serum that contains antioxidants like vitamin C. Over the serum, apply a layer of a good quality moisturizer. Oil based moisturizers are the best. They don’t sting delicate and dry skin the way some other serums do. They also glide on smoothly, leaving skin feeling plump and smooth. For night time moisturizing, a cream with peptides can do wonders. For overly sensitive skin, try a moisturizer loaded with calming ingredients such as aloe vera, apple fruit extract and oat oil. These will improve tolerance and the immune system of the skin.
3. Exfoliate. Exfoliation is a must, and to do it properly, you should exfoliate your face and your body on a weekly basis. Use a dry brush to exfoliate before you shower to ensure moisturizer goes on more smoothly. A good facial scrub is important for the face because they deeply cleanse and hydrate skin.
4. Sleeeeep. For the 50 plus group, there a quite a few benefits for getting a long nights sleep. Good quality sleep leaves you feeling more rested in the morning. For the benefits of being wrinkle free, restful sleep helps the body produce more collagen. Collagen refreshes your skin, making it less likely to wrinkle. Sleep on your back if you can. It will keep the collagen in your face from breaking down and creating sleep lines that could turn into permanent wrinkles.
5. Your diet. Along with the above recommendations, keep in mind that a good, healthy diet also goes a long way in keeping your skin looking younger and wrinkle free. Opt for eating more leafy vegetables and fruits, and keeping your intake of red meat and pork to an absolute minimum. Go for more fish and shellfish.
As always, live a happy lifestyle. Surround yourself with the things that promote a healthy lifestyle and make you happy. It’ll give you some years back, for sure.