So we’re saying goodbye to the warmth and saying hello to winter. Does your skin feel dry and listless? Even though you’re applying a ton of lotion, do you still feel like your face just doesn’t have that cheery glow it had in Summer? Maybe what you need is something to make you feel refreshed and new. Maybe what you need is a facial.
The benefits of a good facial are many and may override the cost. While it’s great to get one every month, (the outermost layer of skin will renew itself approximately every 28 days), just getting one when you need a little lift is better than not getting one at all.
So why should you get a facial? Here’s 7 good reasons why, and also a recipe you can make at home for your own facial:
1. Facials increase the circulation of the blood under the skin. Poor circulation has been linked to numbness and varicose veins. A good facial can repair fascia damage through increased blood flow (as the blood will bring important nutrients to those areas). Massage helps to increase blood flow through the different strokes employed by the masseur. Long stroking movements help fluid move through the circulatory system, and deep massages help to increase permeability in the fibrous tissues, allowing more fluids and nutrients to flow through the tissue.
2. Facials allow you to relax and provide much needed stress relief. Proper massaging techniques have the power to help relax and provide healing benefits.
3. Facials help get rid of puffiness and fluid build up under the skin. Facials also aid on detoxification.
4. Facials help smooth fine lines and promotes collagen production.
5. A facial can clean the pores on a deep level; cleaning the skin pores can help to maintain clear skin and halt acne formation.
6. A great facial can provide deeper exfoliation, which smooths the skin and allows for greater penetration of moisturizers and creams. Pores are unclogged, which improves the skin’s ability to retain hydration and evens the tone of the skin.
7. Facials can slow down the aging process. Your skin can feel healthier and smoother give you that “glow.” By hydrating your skin and reducing age spots, facials can make you look younger. A variety of facial treatments can help to remove dead skin and increase cell growth and development. These treatments can be used to remove damaged skin and increase the production of collagen which is essential for plump and healthy skin cells.
Here’s a great facial made from beer. Yes, beer! Provided courtesy of the La Esperanza Resort, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. (via www.realsimple.com)
What you need:
1 egg white
½ cup beer (any brand)
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Beer is a soothing cleanser. It contains B vitamins, hops, saccharides, and yeast, which help dissolve dead cells and increase the skin’s luminosity.” When mixed with egg white, the yeast in the beer creates a filmy mask that hydrates and improves the elasticity of the skin. Adding a dash of lime (a source of vitamin C) helps to clear pores and fade brown spots.
Combine the egg white and beer with the lime juice. Slather onto the face. After 10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
Say hello to the new weather and the holidays with a fresh new face!