Ever feel like you’re fighting a wrinkle battle that you can’t win? Do you know that there are many things that you can do naturally that can slow or prevent the aging process? At SilcSkin, we pride ourselves on our non-invasive, easy to use, anti-wrinkle skin care system, but we know that it can also take an effort in lifestyle and good choices to maintain wrinkle-free skin.
Here are our top 20 natural ways to take on to delay and prevent skin’s fine lines and wrinkles:
1. Avoid the sun. Sun damage is the number one cause of wrinkles. The sun’s UV rays can cause premature aging, wrinkles, dark pigmentation, sagging skin, and of course, sunburns. When outdoors, be sure to wear a hat to shade and protect your face and neck. Also, be sure to avoid tanning booths – they can wreak more havoc than even the sun.
2. Use broad spectrum sunscreen with a minimum SPF30. If you’re going to be outside for more than 15 minutes, be sure to protect your skin from the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays by using, specifically, a ‘broad spectrum’ sunscreen. Consistent and liberal application of sunscreen will not only help prevent wrinkles, but also very importantly, will help prevent skin cancer.
3. Wear sunglasses. Sometimes the light outside is so bright that we put them on right away. Other times however, we don’t even notice we’re squinting. Protect the thin, sensitive skin around your eyes by wearing sunglasses and reduce the onset of wrinkles that can be caused by squinting.
If you need prescription glasses, get them!! Delaying will only lead to more squinting which will lead to an earlier onset of wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes.
4. Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your stomach or your side makes your face press against your pillow which can cause sleep lines across your face. Sleep lines equals wrinkles.
5. Use a satin or silk pillowcase. For those times when you end up sleeping on your side or stomach, satin/silk pillowcases allow your face to slide rather than ‘stick’ to the pillow, minimizing the lines and wrinkles caused by sleeping that way.
6. Don’t smoke. Smoking increases the number of free radicals in your body which are a main contributor to skin aging. Smoking releases an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin causing skin to become more wrinkled and thin. The more/longer you smoke, the faster your skin will age.
7. Avoid air pollutants. Although we are surrounded by pollutants, there are still ways to minimize our exposure: Don’t stand next to the pump when refilling the tank, use eco-friendly household cleaners and avoid cigarette smoke. (Eating a diet rich in anti-oxidants is a great way to combat the internal pollutants.)
8. Avoid processed and refined foods and sugars. They contain chemicals that are not only bad for your digestive system, but also lead to premature aging.
9. Eat a nutritious diet. Foods have a tremendous ability to thwart the aging process. Buy organic and non-GMO products when possible; get 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables daily, and load up on foods rich in anti-oxidants (red beans, blueberries, kidney beans, pinto beans are top 4 richest), omega-3 fatty acids (flaxseed oil, flaxseed, salmon, chia seeds are top 4 richest), vitamins and minerals.
10. Reduce/Avoid alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates your skin and adds toxins to your body.
11. Don’t overwash your face. Wash off makeup with a cleanser before sleeping, but be careful about washing your face too often within a day. Overwashing can strip the skin of its natural barrier oil and moisture that protects against wrinkles.
12. Exercise regularly. By exercising your cardiovascular system you boost oxygen and needed nutrients to your skin. On top of that you open up your pores and release the toxins within your skin. (Weight strengthening exercises are also beneficial as they strengthen the muscles under your skin, reducing the likelihood of loose skin/wrinkles.)
13. Drink plenty of water! Stay hydrated from the inside! We can’t stress this enough!
14. Use a good daytime moisturizer. Keep your skin hydrated from the outside as you battle dry air and pollutants, and always wear a moisturizer that has a minimum SPF15.
15. Dispose of old make up regularly. Makeup usually doesn’t have a shelf-life longer than 6 months to a year once it’s been used, unless it’s a non-water-based face powder or blush which can last up to 2 years. Any and all makeup that has to do with the eyes has a life of 3 months – because the bacteria around the eyes, once repeatedly reapplied can lead to infections. Brushes must be washed thoroughly (use a mild baby shampoo) each week to eliminate the growth of bacteria.
16. Less coffee, more cocoa. In a 2006 study, cocoa that had high levels of two flavanols (epicatchin and catechin) protected the skin from sun damage, improved circulation to skin cells, affected hydration and made the skin look and feel smoother.
17. Avoid stress. When you’re stressed, your body releases a powerful aging hormone called cortisol into your blood stream which, among other things, promotes the breakdown of collagen in your skin. (Collagen breakdown/loss leads to wrinkles.)
18. Get adequate sleep. The average amount of overnight sleep required varies by person and sleep quality. Generally, for adults, 7-8 hours is recommended. When you get ‘enough’ sleep, your body produces HGH (Human Growth Hormone) which helps skin remain thick, more ‘elastic’ and less likely to wrinkle. Overnight sleep is critical to your skin’s repair and recovery, so less sleep means less repair time which means more wrinkles.
19. Use SilcSkin anti-wrinkle pads to keep your wrinkles at bay!
20. Start preventive measures early. Take care of your skin before the signs of aging begin to show. That means looking over this list and seeing where making some changes in your lifestyle now might bring you greater joy and happiness later.
It’s not easy to make adjustments to the way we do things, or what we eat, or how we maintain our personal habits. Sometimes, it can be harder just to maintain the changes once we have already implemented them. But if the change can bring about a better sense of self, greater joy, and ultimately give us peace of mind, then maybe the hardest part is just the beginning. Once we are on the road making better choices, then the once-difficult choices become easy. Ordering SilcSkin pads right now may be an admission of aging, or a commitment to making a change to our appearance that we have been unwilling to come to terms with. Ultimately though, they serve as a testament to your dedication to follow a more uncomplicated path toward maintaining your skin… and an unwillingness to let painful injections or expensive, unproven products complicate your pursuit of a more youthful appearance. SilcSkin pads go hand in hand with the more natural ways of preventing and defying wrinkles. When working together with straightforward remedies and lifestyle adjustments, they are the most profound way to increase the youthfulness and radiance of your skin. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and you can wear them overnight while you get your much needed sleep. Now, you can stop feeling like you’re fighting a wrinkle battle you can’t win. How? because your secret weapon is SilcSkin and you CAN win.